Saturday, July 7, 2012

Six Word Saturday

''Lately Every Day Is Swim Day !''

Yep it's true,lately every day is swim day here and what a week it's been!
School swimming started this week.At Chipmunks school they do block swim lessons,so for two whole weeks the children go swimming every afternoon.

Chipmunk has never been swimming with the school before and I was quite nervous about him going.

I therefore volunteered myself as a parent helper and now every afternoon,after being at work all morning,I join Chipmunks year group to go swimming.

There are 70 children in the year group,this means it's quite noisy ~ slight understatement here!

And lots of days it's has been pouring with rain,so the children have had to scurry to and from the baths in horrible conditions.

It's been a real eye opener helping out at swimming but I have really enjoyed it.

It's great getting to know Chipmunks peers and good to see the dynamics of the school.

And the progression of the children is amazing!It brings a lump to my throat to see them beginning to relax more in the water and to believe that they are doing well.Now they are even smiling in the water,a big change from Monday afternoon when they looked slightly apprehensive and not that smiley.

As for Chipmunk I'm so proud of him!He's doing so well and trying incredibly hard.

He is going across the baths more strongly on his front,back stroke seems more problematic as he struggles to get into starting position and has a real struggle to get back up from back stroke position ( lovely to see his classmates helping him to get up and being so positive about how's he doing) and I'm beginning to see him even get his face wet!Today he had splashes of water on his cheeks,a very rare thing to see!

One more week to go,I wonder what that will bring!I can't wait to see!

Linked up at...




18 comments:

  1. I thought you were referring to the weather, but your post is much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) we have had to walk through plenty of rain before we even get to the swimming baths to be honest!It has been good though,I'm psyching myself for round two tomorrow

      Delete
    2. Thank you :-) most of the week we have been wading through puddles and dodging raindrops before we even got into the swimming pool.Im hoping this week will be a bit dryer for us! x

      Delete
  2. Learning to swim is a key life skill. Congrats on being there for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it's lovely to have someone say that,I'm pleased that I have the oppurtunity to help him and the school and I so hope the children gain from this experience

      Delete
  3. We have a pool so almost every day is swim day for us as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!That sounds great!If you have children did they learn to swim at a early age because of this opportunity?It sounds amazing to have your own pool.Round here nobody has a pool of their own x

      Delete
  4. I used to love to swim. I haven't been in ages. I am glad you are enjoying watching the children...that is so good for them.

    Happy Saturday!

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :-) oh Iam enjoying watching the young ones swim!Its so nice to see their confidence building and I'm really hoping it brings their swimming skills on.We are going again this week!

      Delete
  5. Good for you, Jess! Both Mrs. Jim and I learned to swim in college. That is way too late in life! And neither of us swim very good still. I got a "B" and I suppose Mrs. Jim got an "A." I had a broken foot with a cast for six weeks. So I missed some of the strokes. I excel with the backstroke!

    Jim's Six Word Saturday
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim :-) I too learnt to swim later in life.I was 21,nobody in our family swam and I took it upon myself too learn.Boy was it hard!Looking back I don't know how I stuck to it!So glad I did though!I can only do one stroke but it's enough to get me by.
      I'm loving watching the young ones learn,we are going all this week too.Im hoping they come on with their swim skills

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing, Jess. We did that with our kids (now grown) also. They take swiming for granted. Lucky kids, :-)
      ..

      Delete
  6. Oh yeah! Or a slippy-slide day too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee!Yes I hope they don't slide at all,swimming baths are slippery places!

      Delete
  7. I assume the 'chipmunks' are little ones.....I think knowing how to swim is very important, espec. on a coast! Or on a cruise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :-) yes swimming is so important I think.A true life skill.I hope these young ones will learn enough to get them by.Although I think most of them should keep at lessons until they can do at least 50 metres

      Delete
  8. Good for you on volunteering :)) I think it is super important to be there for those things. I would say by being present you can understand what the teachers or instructors do when it comes to certain kids i.e not being 1st or having to sit out etc... the goof-offs, but when parents just drop off and pick up they do not understand and also only get 1 side of the story, you now know all parts of the story of 70 kids and how they behave at swim school!
    Again GOOOD FOR YOU one being there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your reply :-) I have so enjoyed being able to help during school swimming.Its not been exactly easy but worth it!And yes the insight it has given me is invaluable.Im back this week and I feel I'm really getting to know the year group now.Its lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete