Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memories
I can't count the number of times we have walked round the duck pond in recent years...lots and lots of times,it's our place,mine and Chips,we watch the seasons come and go,we have taught ourselves about the different types of ducks that we see,we have found secret paths,we have sat and waited for trains to pass by,we have sampled the cafes buttery flapjack more times than perhaps we should have and still we like it up there.

Today we did all the usual stuff,it was a drizzly rainy day but this didn't stop us having a good time and as we reached the swans we decided to take a different turn.

I followed Chips and we saw this water

and I had a complete flashback of a memory.

 Just. Like. That. 

For one moment I went back years.

I could remember the sound of the water and look of the stream and the small waterfall and I could remember my aunt and uncle taking me to this spot 'to see the horses'

I bet I would have been perhaps under five years old.

I cannot describe how strong and sharp and how sudden that memory was.

It just came from nowhere

Pretty unreal to be honest.

I stood looking at the water and the words 'going to see the horses' rang in my head.

And just up in the nearby field,hidden by the trees are some horse riding stables....

Has anyone else got anything similar to share?

Hours later this is still playing on my mind,I think it was the sound of the water that did it and when I look at that photo I think eek,not a totally bad eek but a eek all the same!

11 comments:

  1. I occasionally get a flashback to early childhood, often something quite ordinary, but very early memories triggered by something in the present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fiona this flashback has totally spooked me since it happened,unbelievably so.Isnt it a weird thing when it happens!

      Delete
  2. Wow amazing how something random can bring back such an early memory isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taz I have had a nightmare time with this flashback memory.You would not believe the power of the dream it caused that night,scariest thing ever!

      Delete
  3. I do this all the time!! its frustrating but fab at the same time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its weird isn't it when this happens!This time though it was quite a nasty feeling and that night I had awful thoughts and dreams,not good at all...

      Delete
  4. This sounds so very vivid and it sounds like its a happy one so something to be treasured rather than feared. I get memory flashbacks regularly and they seem to get more regular as I get older - especially in things I see my daughter do. Thanks for linking lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm Im reading the bit you said about having more flashback memories as you get older and I think there may be something in that Vic.
      As I said on Twitter last night,this one scared me half to death that night,unexplainable but it did.
      My thoughts are...do I go back to the piece of water that scared me and brazen it out or do I avoid it like the plague and never go there again..

      Delete
  5. I always find its a sound or smell that can do that, hurtle you back in time by 25 years in an instant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Lou!Yes isn't it weird how sounds and smells can do that to us!For me its usually a smell..funny how that old brain of ours works isn't it!

      Delete
  6. Quick update with this post....the night after I wrote this post I had such a bad,bad experience regarding this patch of water,I cant really explain but it was SO terrifying it scared me to pieces.
    Quick question..do I never go back to the patch of water again,just avoid like the plague or do I confront...any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete